Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blue Velvet



Howdy everyone (thank you to you lovelies who are reading this - please click on the thingo to follow this blog too ).
So I watched Blue Velvet on Friday afternoon and it's now Sunday. But the film is still relatively fresh in my head. After all, Lynch paints such grotesque images, how can one shake them so easily?

Let me begin by reiterating that I was apprehensive to watch this film, as I had quite a shite experience watching Lost Highway many years ago. I was so disgusted & creeped out by this film, I remember having the most visceral reaction to a movie I've ever had before or since. It's one of a handful of film I will never watch again.

That said, I liked 'A Straight Story', and I like what I've seen of Twin Peaks (this series is next on my "watch the whole series" list, after I finish West Wing). I also loooove Angelo Badalamenti (Sp), his music is amazing and haunting.

So, Blue Velvet. Yes. I was 7 when this film came out (1986), so my frame of reference when watching Laura Dern is Jurassic Park, and Kyle MacLachlan - Sex in the City. Sad, huh? That's what I instantly thought of when seeing these two. Can you blame me though? what kind of parents would let a seven year old watch David Lynch?

I really liked this film. I can see why it's noted for its cinematic greatness, coming in at #37 on The List.
My husband owns a copy of this dvd, a Lynch fan himself. He was noting how Lynch's aim as a director is to depict our worst nightmarish scenarios and images on screen.
Indeed, there is something so eerie about his films, you find yourself cringing and shuddering. Again, quite a visceral reaction.
His nightmarish depictions are both overt and subtle.
How completely FUCKED UP is Dennis Hopper in this film? And the classic scene when he first comes to Isabella Rossilini's apartment, the oxygen mask, the awful, bizarre, horrible sexual act. BLECH!
*shudders*
Loved the colour palette of this film, loved the full circle the film comes, of portraying crisp, pristine 1950's "white suburban bliss" - then the dark dark underworld of smut & perversion - then back again to robins chirping and white picket fences.
Lynch loves the contrast of the perverse that lies underneath the seemingly normal, and this film captures that sentiment brilliantly.
Yes, it was creepy & captivating. But I wasn't wanting to cry & vomit like I felt after Lost Highway, so maybe Lynch wasn't as messed up back in the 80's. ;)

4 out of 5 Monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment