Thursday, April 15, 2010

STARS WARS!!! (1977) George Lucas


"The force is rather strong with this one..."

Number 16 on the list, is Episode IV, the original sci-fi classic that created a massive following & made George Lucas a god amongst nerds.

I was saying to my husband that I wouldn't dare blog much about this film, for I am not a "star wars fanatic", per se. That's not to say I don't enjoy the films, but I don't love love love sci-fi by any means. My nerdiness is of a different type.
That said, for someone who notoriously hates books/movies that A. Take place in space. blech. and B. Have lots of action sequences, I love Star Wars.
I haven't watched this movie since I was a kid, or maybe a teen. I have an older brother who of course loved star wars, so watching it again reminds me of being a kid and liking things my big brother did. :)

I had a permanent sense of deja vu while watching the film, because it's so known, yet the many many years between now and my last viewing provided this feeling of, well, yeah, deja vu. Very cool feeling. nostalgia.I remember watching it with my "kid eyes".

So out of curiosity I looked up what rating Star Wars received from Rotten Tomatoes...94%! not surprising, from this "arguably one of the most inventive and entertaining films ever made". I was picking Jono's (hubby) brain throughout our viewing, since he is of the sci-fi Star Wars loving kind...one of my questions was what made this film so amazing, to SW geeks. His answer was that it was a lot to do with the world Lucas created. Such detail, such an interesting world. Believable, and yet foreign. Accessible to humans - addictive to sci-fi junkies.

I now feel the need to watch the rest of the star wars film again!
4 out of 5 monkeys.

NEXT UP--> Annie Hall!!!! Some woody allen action, folks

No comments:

Post a Comment