Thursday, April 8, 2010

La Dolce Vita (1960) - Fellini


"I like the three big evasions: drinking, smoking and going to bed."

Yes yes, alcoholic prophet. I concur.

Well well well.
Fellini.
I don't dare try to pretend I can write well enough about film as an art form to give justice to one of the greatest directors, and one of the greatest films. Coming in at #6 on the List, 'La Dolce Vita' (or 'The Sweet Life'), is one of the "biggies", in my book and in probably most Great Film lists.

Highly stylized, highly visual and overly poetic are Fellini's films. I loved everything about this film - though I firmly believe that there's still a lot of it I don't "get" yet. I simply need more viewings of it, to be able to take it all in.
In any case...
I was sucked into the rich world painted by Fellini's "fantasy-laden images".
I left feeling jaded and depressed by the depiction of this pathetic Marcello's pitiful life. I find it no wonder to read that Fellini was himself an utterly depressed individual.

Each separate "chapter" of the film burns in one's memory, for various reasons. I think I was most fascinated by the Sylvia scenes, as Fellini managed to captivate his audience in the same way in which Marcello, the paparazzi and everyone else are obsessed with the blonde bombshell of an Actress.
I found myself pathetically wanting to be a voluptuous trend-ite in 1960's Italy...only to loathe myself by mid-film for being seduced by the glamour of it all (as was Fellini's intent, I can only assume...)

I simply cannot sign off without mention of how INCREDIBLY yummy I find Marcello Mastroianni. Ohhh what a European stud muffin he is - or rather was. sigh.)

Highly deserving of it's spot as #6, I give this pic 5 out of 5 monkeys. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment