Thursday, May 13, 2010

Chinatown (1974) - Roman Polanski



Sigh. Chinatown.
Ah a most depressing, dark & disturbing neo-Noir.

For some reason this film didn't impress me as much the second time around just now. I imagine this is largely due to the fact that I knew the outcome of the movie, knew the plot. Lack of shock & surprise.

But even still, just a bit underwhelmed for some reason. Yes, it is a good film. Yes, Roman Polanski is a strange and creepy man (love his cameo though), albeit a great filmmaker. But I just didn't love it as much as the first time; perhaps it's due to the fact I studied it intensely in my film course and had to write a paper on it, thereby having been guided into a richer interpretation thereof.

Jack Nicholson is spectacular, as is the demure Faye Dunaway.I love watching Jack in his hayday, before he got fat & yuckmo.
There's some great sassy dialogue in this film - I particularly dig Jake Gittes' potty mouth which he generally fails to censor around the lady (it being the 1930's and all).
A great haunting soundtrack, some interesting shots. A well-crafted film and excellent film noir indeed.

It's the highest on The List that I've yet watched for this project - coming in at #4. Do I agree with this rating?
Erm, not so much really. I know that's not going to be popular to say, it being the one and only Chinatown. But I think I give this approx 3.5 Monkeys.

toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment